Newsletter, July 13
Rev. Sheelagh’s Sabbatical Notes
July 13, 2016
It’s Saturday evening, the night before I start my icon writing workshop at the Prosipon School of Iconology in Princeton. I’m not very artistic so I don’t really know why I have signed up for this, except that icons somehow convict me. Most of you have seen some of that response.
I must confess that I’m a bit scared. I am no artist. Any outcome will likely be a beginner’s effort. But there’s more at stake than pride.
And now I know why. Icons, are not just pieces of fine art. Far from it. The prereading articulated what I sensed. This is an invitation to vulnerability.
“An icon is not an end in itself but a channel of communication. It fulfills a mediatorial function: its role is mystagogic, it initiates us. Through the icon we pass within the dimensions of sacred space and time…”*
Tonight I feel a bit like I did the night before I was ordained as priest. A raw, unprepared, initiate. The same tremor flutters deep within me. I feel awed, afraid, unworthy. I promise nothing. Except to be as faithful as I can to the process. That it will be in and of itself enough.
Please keep me in your prayers.
*Praying with Icons. Bishop Kallistos of Diokleia:
from One in 2000? Towards Catholic-Orthodox Unity, Paul McPartian(Ed.), Slough, St Paul’s, (1993).
|June 1-Sep 1||June 1-Sep 1||Rev. Sheelagh’s Sabbatical|
|July 5 – August 19||7am-6pm||Preschool Summer Camp|
|July 20, Wednesday||6pm||Summer Workshop Grace Episcopal Church Nutley|
|July 24, Sunday||12pm-3pm||St. John’s Luncheon|
|July 31, Sunday||11am||Baby Shower at Coffee Hour for North Porch|
Serving at the Altar 7/17 & 7/24
|8am Preacher: M. Walker|
8am Reader: M. Walker
|8am Preacher: Rev. C. McCloud|
8am Reader: M. Ellingham
|10am Preacher: F. Dorn|
1. E. Pluta
2. T. Scharff
|10am Preacher: Rev. D. Darves|
1. P. Wick
2. K. Hanson
|Chalicist: J. Soughan||Chalicist: S. Macbeth|
|Ushers: Ushers: M. & D. Price||Ushers: M. & FL. Priddy|
|Altar Guild: M. Walker, T & J Scharff||Altar Guild: N. Sieffert & A. Cole|
|Coffee Hour: The Dorn Family||Coffee Hour: Theresa Scharff|
|Altar Flowers: Donated by Andrew Permison||Altar Flowers: Open|
If you have any dates or events that need adding to the St. Stephen’s Calendar please send them to Claire, and all articles and e-mails for the newsletter by NOON on Tuesday to email@example.com. Thank You.
Summer Workshop July 20
At Grace Episcopal Church in Nutley (200 Highfield Lane)
A $5 per person donation is requested to cover the cost of a light dinner. For further information or to reserve a spot (so we’ll know how much food is needed) please email Sue Morgan at firstname.lastname@example.org
Time 6 p.m on Wednesday, July 20 or call her at (917) 517-4024.
Christmas In July
All through July you can contribute once again to North Porch by bringing baby needs each Sunday of the month and placing these in the decorated boxes in the Narthex.
North Porch center for Women and Infants is in need of the following: Enfamil regular and soy powdered formula, dapers sizes 5, 6 and all sizes of Pull Ups, jars of baby food, both fruits and vegetables. Donations of checks should be made out to North Porch.
St. John’s – Sunday, July 24th
61 Broad Street Elizabeth, NJ 07202
July is a month with 5 Sundays, on the 4th Sunday we have a scheduled St. John’s visit.
Departure Time: 12PM from St. Stephen’s
For the Summer season, we will be making a change to our menu!
Below is a list of what we will need. The number in parenthesis indicates approximately how many of each item we need or to feed.
Please don’t hesitate to make it your own and label your contents, so we can identify it for our guests.
There are several guests, who could be allergic to specific items.
1. Pre-made Turkey Sandwiches (20)
2. Pre-made Ham & Cheese Sandwiches (20)
3. Pre-made Meat Deli & Cheese Sandwiches (20) e.g. Salami, etc
4. Pre-made Peanut Butter & Jelly Sandwiches (20)
5. Egg Salad (Large Tray – 20)
6. Potatoes Salad (feeds 20)
7. Mediterranean Style Salad (feeds 10)
8. Macaroni Salad (20) (Tuna or Chicken)
9. Italian Pasta Salad (20) – Sam and Soraya
10. Confetti (Mexican Street Corn) Salad (20) – Eugene
11. Iceberg Style Salad (any style) (60)
12. Fruits (Bananas and/or Oranges) – Sue Macbeth
13. Hard boiled eggs (3 dozen)
14. Items to take away (cookie, crackers, etc)
15. Storage containers (100)
16. Tickets for easy distributions – Sam and Soraya
Please label your type of sandwiches and dish prior to delivery, for better distribution.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact via us email at
email@example.com or give us a call directly Soraya at (201) 779-6852 or Sam at (646) 805-8682
Sam + Soraya Polanco
DRUMMING CAMP IS COMING! 8/23-8/27
Drumming camp is coming, and I want to share the details with you. The children will be coming to St. Stephen’s from Tuesday 8/23 to Saturday 8/27 from 3:30 – 7:30 pm. Here is a rough plan for the schedule:
- 3:30PM vans arrive, children have a hearty snack (granola bars and fruit), children have free play time on the grounds
- 4:00-5:00PM younger children drum and older children do arts and crafts (Drumming in parish hall)
- 5:00-6:00PM older children drum and younger children to arts and crafts (Drumming in parish hall)
- 6:00-6:30PM dinner (Meals in parish hall)
- 6:30-7:15PM outdoor sports and games
- 7:30PM vans leave to take the children home
We do not yet have a list of participating children, but once we have a clearer sense of the number of children and their ages we can make any necessary scheduling adjustments.
Reverend Sheelagh will not be at the helm this summer, but we have a core group of volunteers who will be present at the camp each evening.
- Yah-yah Kamate will serve as the drumming instructor
- Kim Williams will assist Yah-yah with the drummers
- Gary Jones, Fran Taber, and Susan Dinan will serve as co-directors with clearly defined responsibilities, so we will not be getting into one another’s way.
- Reverend Kathleen will provide her calming and inspired presence.
- Sara Ruth Dorn will manage dinner and snacks. She will need helpers each night. If you want to help with food pick-up, preparation, and/or service please let Sara Ruth know which evenings you are available (Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday, Friday, or Saturday) and the times you can assist. She can be reached at 973-467-9847 or Fdorn231@aol.com.
- Gesine Ehlers will coordinate arts and crafts. If you want to assist in the arts room please let Susan Dinan know by responding to this message.
- Grace Savoia-Di Gregorio and Miles Ben-Egypt will serve as camp counselors, with Miles in charges of sports since he has experience as a soccer coach. Elizabeth Hawk will serve as a junior counselor.
Would you like to help with the camp? If you want to volunteer to work with the children, please let Susan Dinan know when you are available to do so, and what you would like to be involved in doing. If you would like to contribute money to the food fund, please let us know. If you would like to contribute food, please let Sara Ruth and Susan know so we can plan accordingly. We will be ordering food from local restaurants (Peter’s, Millburn Diner, and Pizzeta) again this summer, and we will ask ShopRite and Trader Joes for snack donations, but as you know these children come from food insecure homes, and it is nice to provide them with substantial snacks and meals. Thank you for your support of our drummer!
Shakespeare In The Park
This August we hope to continue the “tradition” (started last Summer) of gathering on a balmy Summer’s eve in Garrison New York, on the lawn of an historic house across from West Point Academy. Here we enjoy a picnic and then the most entertaining words of the Bard! This year we hope to gather a group to enjoy “As You Like It” on Saturday, August 27. If you are interested please contact Theresa Scharff for details.
Men Of St. Stephen’s Retreat
Calling all Men of St.Stephens! A retreat “just for men” is in the process of being planned in late Summer (September). We hope to use the Convent of St. John Baptist in Mendham for the day. Please consider spending some time alone and with other men of the parish for a day of spiritual renewal and growth. Contact Paul Boegershausen or Theresa Scharff for more information.
An Invitation from The Episcopal Diocese Of Newark
Joining God in Shaping Our Future
Please click the link below for article
Thought For The Week
Thinkers. Writers. Please consider writing a brief “thought for the week” on anything at all for the weekly e-news during the sabbatical period. Let Claire or Janet Hager know you are interested.
Coffee hosting and flowers
Please sign up with Susan Dinan for coffee hour. Please Let Eugene or Claire know if you would like to donate flowers. The rest of July is still open to order flowers, so please consider taking ONE Sunday in memory of a loved one, or in thanksgiving for an event. Flowers are priced at $40, $50 or $60 for the two vases.
Gracious God, in you we live and move and have our being: We pray that you guide Rev. Sheelagh during this intentional Sabbath time. May she return to St. Stephen’s restored in body, mind and spirit. We also pray that you bless this parish and all who come here. May we carry out with joy the ministries to which we are called. May this also be a time of intentional prayer and reflection for us. By your Spirit, empower all to be strengthened by the gifts you give and to be renewed as servants of God. Amen.