Rev. Sheelagh’s Thought For The Week
Together We Rise
This is the theme of this year’s drumming camp. It’s seems right on point to me. Our drummers need to listen carefully. To build up the rhythm and add in the flourishes. It’s hard work. Takes a lot to really listen. I urge you and encourage you to do this work as you discern what is needed for the church. The Holy Spirit will speak, if you listen hard enough. Just as the drum speaks its spirit and story. Come join us for the Drumming Camp performance on Friday at 5:30pm. See below for details and let SaraRuth know you are coming please.
|Aug-28 – Sept-1|
|Sept 1, Friday||5:30pm||Drumming Camp Performance & Picnic|
|Sept-2, Saturday||10:30am||St. Stephen’s Garden Club|
|Sept-6, 13, 20, & 27|
Oct-4 & 11, Wednesdays
7pm – 8:45pm
St Stephen’s Rectory
|Sept 10, Sunday||11:15am||Welcome Back Coffee Hour|
Sept 10 & 17, Sunday
|Sept 12, Tuesday||11am-2pm||Senior Luncheon|
|Sept 13, Wednesday||7:30pm-10pm||Finance Committee Meeting|
Serving at the Altar 9/3 & 9/10
September 3, 2017
No 8am Service
September 10, 2017
No 8am Service
1. L. Owolabi
2. B. Riedel
1. K. Conway
2. F. Dorn
3. K. Hanson
|Chalicist: S. Clarke||Chalicist: J. Scharff|
Ushers: M. Hirschfeld & K. McClellan
Ushers: J.&T. Scharff
Altar Guild: C. Francis & J. Dorn
Altar Guild: A. Walker, J.&T. Scharff
Coffee Hour: M. Nazareth
|Coffee Hour: The Vestry|
Altar Flowers: H. Rooney
|Altar Flowers: J.&T. Scharff|
There is and will be continuing need for financial support for many months to come. We know what it feels like to flood. Please see the link below if you wish to donate.
Prayer for Guidance in finding a new Rector (BCP)
Almighty God, giver of every good gift: Look graciously on your Church, and so guide the minds of those who shall choose a new Rector for this parish, that we may receive a faithful pastor, who will care for your people and equip us for our ministries; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.
Please Join Us In Prayer As We Search For Our Next Bishop
We, your people in the Diocese of Newark, give you thanks and praise for your work among us and through us, generation to generation. Lead us in the months ahead as we prayerfully search for our next Bishop. Raise up for us a steadfast steward who will embrace our broad and blessed diversity and uphold the apostolic heritage of your Church. Guide us to a faithful witness who speaks the Gospel truth in love and joy, and intimately knows your Word and world. Direct us, your disciples, in our discernment so our faith may increase and our works glorify your Name. All this we ask through Jesus Christ our Lord, who with you and the Holy Spirit, be honor and glory throughout all ages. Amen.
Bishop Search Updates
Lay members will have two more opportunities to attend a Listening Meeting:
- Saturday, September 9, 1pm at Christ Church Bloomfield/Glen Ridge
- Wednesday, September 13, 6:30pm at St. George’s Maplewood
Two additional listening meetings are scheduled, but are for Episcopal House Staff (September 7) and Clergy only (September 12).
PLEASE JOIN US FOR A CELEBRATORY PERFORMANCE AND PICNIC ON FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 1, 2017
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church of Millburn – proud host of the 2017 Summer Drumming Camp – invites you to join us for a performance by this year’s drummers, followed by a family picnic. All are welcome as we celebrate the musical skills of our drummers and dancers (ages 7 – 13) led by their instructor, the master African Drummer and dancer Yah-yah Kamate.
Date: Friday, September 1, 2017
- 5:00 to 5:30 p.m. Guests and families arrive
- 5:30 to 6:00 p.m. Performance
- 6:00 to 7:00 p.m. Picnic (hot dogs, hamburgers, veggie burgers, and great desserts!)
- 7:00 to 7:30 p.m. Final farewells
Where: St. Stephen’s Church, 119 Main Street, Millburn, New Jersey (across from Taylor Park)
Please tell Sara Ruth Dorn if you will attend the picnic by Thursday, August 31 before 9pm.
phone: (973) 467-9847 or by email:Fdorn231@AOL.com
St. Stephen’s Church has hosted this drumming camp for five years. This year’s activities included:
1. Drumming and dance instruction, led by Yah – yah Kamate, master drummer, assisted by Miss Kim (Williams), music educator and choir director.
2. Arts and Crafts, led by Miss G (Gesine Ehlers) and Miss Laura (Barakat), assisted by Eugene Foley and Carole Francis.
3. Sports and games, led by counselors Rammie Rugbeer, Drew Lyle Kelly Newman, Sage Savoie Di Gregorio, Judy Braithwaite, and Jataria Monroe.
4. A learning focus on select topics. Past years have included Maya Angelou, Nelson Mandela.
For 2017, St. Stephen’s extends special thanks to:
1. Mr. Charles of Top Cat Bus Service, assisted by Ms. Terri Thompson, who provided daily transportation for the drummers.
2. Sara Ruth Dorn and her crew of St. Stephen’s volunteers who provided healthy snacks and organized delicious daily dinners for the drummers and staff, with help from our local restaurants: Pizzeta and the Millburn Diner, and generous donations from Peter’s.
3. Delouise Monroe, who served as bus chaperone, managed registration for all of this year’s drummers, and attended camp daily as onsite monitor.
St. Stephen’s Garden Club Meeting
Saturday September 2, 2017
The first meeting of St. Stephen’s Garden Club will be on Saturday, September 2 at 10:30am in the Common Room. This is an organizational and planning meeting so bring your ideas! Anyone interested in helping with planning and/or working in the church gardens is welcome!
Questions: Theresa Scharff or Sue Macbeth
Transition Process – Come One and Come All!
On Sunday, September 10th & 17th, for approximately half an hour, during coffee hour, each Vestry member will help lead a group of parishioners at individual round tables, in discussion about their feelings regarding the past, present and future of St. Stephen’s and what they would like to see in their new Rector. Each Vestry member will take notes during each discussion. Below, are the 4 questions that will be asked of each group. This will provide time to think about your answers. Please try to attend one of these 2 sessions.
1. If you had 3 wishes for our Worship, what would they be?
2. What keeps you coming back to St. Stephen’s?
3. What are your hopes for this congregation and what would you be
most invested in/participate in?
4. What are the most important qualities or experiences that our new
Rector should have?
Any questions please email Maryalice Chech at: email@example.com
Wednesday Evenings, September 6 – October 11, 2017
Fellow Pilgrims – please put on your comfy shoes and get ready for the third session of the journey. We begin on Wednesday, September 6, 7pm – 8:45pm in the Rectory. The theme for Session 3 is “The Commandments.”
The Pilgrim Program is open to all who are interested in growing spiritually through sharing of Scripture, reflection, and prayer. Each session begins informally with light refreshments; so even if you are unable to be present from the start you are still able to participate! While regular attendance is a plus, absence is acceptable if necessary. There is no outside preparation required for each session; there is a small manual needed and a small fee to purchase one. The manual can be purchased at the first meeting. Sessions end promptly at 8:45pm and occur over six weeks. Hope to see you there!
Any questions: Theresa Scharff
Parish Office hours are as follows: